Friday, October 12, 2007

College visit

My Motherinlaw is an amazing woman. Besides having had 10 children and keeping good tabs on all of them...she has 22 grandchildren that she really keeps up with. She also drives everywhere she can....She is 87 and is in full, complete possession of her mind and body---well, she is a bit deaf(don't laugh, in laws, I KNOW she is more than a BIT deaf) but she refuses to wear hearing aids. When asked why? she says she doesn't want to look old. When you get your laughter under control, feel assured that I asked her that if you aren't old at 87 when are you old? and she responded.....anyone 10 years older than I am is old. Ok, having said that, she was driving back from Arkansas and she decided to stop and visit one of her granddaughter's(my daughter) at college as she was driving back to Chicago. She arrived at my daughter's house at 10:45 PM where they fixed her something to eat(she lives in a Vegetarian co-op), showed her around the place (13 people live there), made sure her car was parked in an area it wouldn't get towed(you know how police in college towns are), visited with the granddaughter and her roommates and then drove 3 hours home. Not only were her roommates impressed that she came for a visit, they couldn't believe she was going to drive 3 hours home at such a late time of the night....Like I said....she is an amazing woman.

8 comments:

Liz said...

I want to be like her when I grow up ... but with my hearing.

Hyderabad Daily Photo said...

Amazing indeed! And blessed.

quintarantino said...

Hi, didn´t quite catch that on of being tagged... please help.

Cathrine said...

ask her her secret
I need to know :) !

and thanks for your comment - Anna is the girl I wanted to be :)

Unknown said...

a vegetarian co-op? wth is that?

Oswegan said...

I remember my great grandmother, when she was in her 90s, wouldn't wear a hearing aid.

Eh? Whadya say?

~Oswegan
http://oswegan.blogspot.com

Front Porch Society said...

Wow!! That is definitely one amazing woman!! Does she want another grandchild? ;)

Ruth said...

I agree with Liz, I wanna be like her when I'm her age. Wow!!

Thanks for your visit to Synchronizing! :)