Thursday, March 15, 2007

family stuff

I married a man who is the oldest of 10 children....6 boys and 4 girls. There is a 24 year age span between my husband and his youngest sister. The order for them is boy, girl, boy, boy, boy, boy, girl, boy, girl, girl (not only do I know their names....I also know when their birthday and YEAR is--not that I remember them to send cards or anything...I just know them!). Between all of them there are 22 grandchildren..11 boys...11 girls and 1 greatgrandchild (girl)..and she is ADORABLE.. & will be 2 soon.)
This means I (we)have a lot of nieces and nephews and last night I got to see the newest edition and youngest of the clan who is in visiting from the John Deere capital of the world (Iowa). Her mommy is the youngest of the siblings and has 2 older girls so theirs is a house of pink. This is also the sister who was 6 when I met her and does not remember a time that I was not in the family(having married her oldest brother 31 years ago....makes me feel old!!)Also, this is the sister I introduced to "creme rinse"---we call that conditioner now!!--and she has always felt that was a life altering experience that hair washing didn't have to mean TANGLES!!
I can relate to this more than one would realize because I am from a family of 3 girls...the middle child...I still marvel that my dad survived our teenage years as we only had ONE bathroom...and all 5 of us had to use it. I timed my alarm clock so I was the first one up in order to shower, brush teeth, etc...cause once your time came and went you either never got back in to the bathroom or..and here is the part that prompted my early rising....you had to go in when dad was in getting ready for work---never a pretty picture.
I looked at the three little girls last night, the mommy (who is looking pretty darn good for having a 2 month old) and the dad(looks like he is on VACATION) and the adorable sisters --who are 10 and 7 and realize how much fun they are going to have in the future....Been there, done that, don't want to do it again!!! but , boy, watching all the activity...

I need to go reassess how busy I thought I was with the 5 month old puppy.......

1 comment:

MotherOf3Guys said...

Yes, I remember well the "one bathroom situation" and "sharing" the bathroom with my sisters! Funny that I am now in a family of testosterone! It is amazing when you think about all the activity and hussle and bussle that a young household has! Now I think I'm just lazy...cause I can be! I have procrastinated in blogging, blog reading, and the list goes on....