Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Chinchilla escape

You will remember I am watching Chin the chinchilla for the daughter while she is at camp. Yesterday I cleaned out his condo cage. This involves me getting him into a different facility..like a big ball or his travel cage....all this is done without me actually touching him....he is after all a RODENT.......To be fair...I do let him walk up my arm..I can handle that but actually picking him up...not so much....he likes to be touched but not held....go figure....well....
I cleaned everything up, rearranged his levels so he gets more exercise and retrieved him from his ball and put him back in his condo and left to take Clancy to his graduation class.
Imagine my HORROR, while driving, when I remembered that I had opened the top of his condo and had not closed it..If I could have turned around I would've but I was almost to class.....4 frantic phone calls to neighbors later, I get the neighbor who is TERRIFIED of the Akita that I am babysitting....I BEGGED her to please go and at least close the bedroom door so Chin wasn't roaming throughout the upstairs......
A bottle of wine seems cheap at that price!! so, over she went and I get a phone call from her saying she got to the daughter's bedroom and as she started to walk into the room, here is this little furry thing looking at her...she screams and Chin takes off for under the bed...she slams the bedroom door shut and calls and leaves.....

I am sure all of you will sleep better tonight knowing that I was able to corner him into his cage when I got home.......I know I will be able to sleep better....

2 comments:

Liz said...

I had a student bring a pair to class many, many years ago. I thought they were adorable, much better than ferrets. We had gerbils as classroom pets once, too. Don't ever break up a gerbil fight. I still have a scar from that one.

MotherOf3Guys said...

Again, I am not a big chinchilla fan..I guess it is like sister, like sister?